The NSS unit of our college is one of the oldest among the colleges of University of Madras. The sanctioned strength for 5 units is 500 volunteers with 5 programme officers.
By enrolling in NSS, students develop social service, team spirit, discipline, self confidence, leadership etc.
- The Unit was honoured with the Best Unit Award in the year 2004-05 by the University of Madras
- The Unit was honoured by the Award of Excellence under the mega project Hands to Handlooms weavers in the year 2010-11.
- Orientation programme for new volunteers.
- Regular projects: Health, Educational, Library, Temple and Traffic Project
- Rural camp: Every year 7 days Rural Camp is being conducted in selected villages with multiple service programmes
- Awareness camp on Aids, Anti Tobacco & Polio Plus
- Female Infanticide & Foeticide
- Community Initiatives: Volunteers participate in several community projects. To list a few:
- Educational service for blind in Poonamallee High School.
- Service for Mentally & Physically Retarded
- Traffic regulation at Tiruvallur
- Maintaining all the trees and plants in our college campus
- Assistance in hospitals at Tiruvallur, Avadi, Pattabiram, Thiruninravur and Thamaraipakkam
- Temple cleaning