The undergraduate programme for statistics was started in the year 2011 as a highly job oriented course for maximum use of employment opportunities prevailing in the IT world. The course content includes collection, organization, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data in different formats. The statistical package for social science (SPSS) and Programming in Statistics (SAS) are offered by the department to improve the skills of the students.
Statistics, being a study which includes observation, design, experiment and measurement demands high mathematical acumen and caters to scientific and social research. The wide range of domains which include applied statistics are Actuarial science , Applied information economics, Biostatistics, Business statistics, Data mining ,Econometrics, Engineering statistics, Geography and Geographic Information Systems, Image processing, Psychological statistics and Social statistics.
Thus the graduates of the department as statisticians are in demand in government agencies, industries, MNCs and Research Centres.
The graduates of this programme are placed in HCL, WIPRO, Billroth Hospitals, ICMR and several other companies every year.
- 29.06.2015 – National Statistics Day. Chief Guest – Dr P.Balasubramanian, Joint Director.
- 18.08.2015 – Guest Lecture on Bio Statistics by Sri Richand Prabagaran- ‘Bio Statistician, C.M.C., Vellore.
- 22.01.2016 – International Guest Lecture on Statistics by Mr T.Anbupalam, Bio Statistician, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- 12.02.2016 – Tilasto – 15, Inter-School Competition. Chief guest: Dr D.Ramakrishnan, Scientist – G, National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai.
- 26.06.2016: National Statistics Day Celebrated
- 02.09.2016: Tilasto – 16, Inter-School Competition. Dr R.Ravanan, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Statistics, Presidency College, Chennai
- 06.02.2017: AMITY – 2017: Dr N.Rajendra Naidu, Director, DRBCCC Hindu College was the Chief Guest
- 24.03.2017: National Conference on Recent Developments in Statistical Applications – Chief Guest: Tirthankar Patnaik, Mizuho Bank Limited, Mumbai, AGM, Chief Strategist & Head of Research, India, Asia Financial Solution Division. Mr M.R.Srinivasan, Head, Dept. of Statistics, University of Madras were the Chief Guests.
- 29.07.2017: National Statistics Day Celebrated
- 17.08.2017: Guest Lecture on Opportunities in Bio Statistics by Dr Varshan Joshwa, Scientist B, National Institute of Epidemiology, ICMR
- 23.10.2017: Tilasto-17, Inter-School Competition. Chief Guest: Dr R.Geetha, HOD, Statistics, SDNB Vaishnav College, Chrompet