The department of social work was established in 2007. The mission of the Department of Social Work is to sensitise the students to the social, economic, and cultural contexts that shape our community. In order to promote the idea, the department structures its instruction and activities, takes the world as its learning platform, and emerge as a strong force to bring a socially balanced society.
The department of social work starts its activity every year with orientation and awareness programmes. By Observation Visits, which is a part of the curriculum, the students get oriented to different social contexts and understand about the functions of social workers in various fields such as NGOs, Hospitals and Companies.
Skills lab is the unique feature of the department. As the mission of the department is to improve the Quality of life and well being of the community, sound mind is needed for the students .To support this, the Yoga instructor from Esha gives instructions on yoga and meditation techniques every year.. Soft skills and personality enrichment programmes are significant features of the department.
Through the course curriculum and practical sessions, Students also learn about the role of NGO’s, CSR and Government agencies in Social Transformation and also focus on Social Exclusion and Mental Health.
The graduates of the department are recognized as professional social workers who could participate in the private and public forum which involve issues about social policies, social and community development programmes and human resource management.
Mr Rajan Jayabalan, M.A, M.Phil., NET.,
Assistant Professor & Head
Mr T.Mahesvaran, M.S.W., M.Phil.,
Mrs B.Vinodha, M.S.W., M.Phil.,
Mr M.Rex Sahayaraj, M.S.W., M.Phil., NET.,
Mrs P.Elavarasi, M.S.W., M.Phil.,
- 26.06.2015 – Awareness Programme on Drug Abuse by Ms Anjhana, Psychiatric social worker, SCARF
- 23.07.2015 – Awareness Programme on Brest Cancer by Chennai Turns Pink Organisation
- 30.09.2015 – Awareness Programme on Healthy Heart by Dr Majella, Stanley Medical Hospital & College
- 07.10.2015 – Observance of World Mental Health Week for school students by Ms Angelin Prince, Candles NGO
- 08.10.2015 – Say No Plastic – Created awareness among Dr Guruswami Mudaliar TTV Hr. Sec. School students, Sowcarpet about plastic
- 05.02.2016 – National Seminar on Igniting Millennials towards sustainable development by Mr V.P.Ponnusamy, Head – HR, Rechitt Benksier, Mr U.Sudhir Lodha, Tamil Nadu Minorities Commission Member
- 02.12.2016 – HIV / AIDs Disease and its awareness – Street Theater Competition. Chief Guest: Mr Jayachandran, Media Personality, Mr Sathish, Programme Co-ordiantor YRG, Mr Marshall, Project Officer, HCL Project & Ms Bernadeen Maria Suraes, Project Co-ordinator
- 03.03.2017 – National Level Conference on Social Work Approaches in Diverse Settings. Chief Guest: Mr M.Chandrasekaran, IAS, Commissioner, Directorate of Backward Classes Welfare, Dr Shanmugavelayutham, Managing Trustee, Foryouchild, Dr M.D.Rohini Krishna, Retd. Social Welfare Officer & Dr J.M.Arul Kamaraj, Asst. Prof., Dept of Social Work, Loyola College
- 16, 19 & 21.06.2017 – Orientation Programme on Careers in Social Work by Mr Nainaraj, Rtd. DM, Dalmia, Mr B.Balasandhya, Placement consultant, MSSW, Mr Edward Sudhakar, Dean, Department of Social Work, Loyola College
- 11.09.2017 to 16.09.2017 – Rural Camp at Rangapuram, Poondi Belt, Thiruvallur